• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tax Implications For Trade

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bruce_fowler

What is the name of your state? Texas
What are the federal and/or tax implications for a trade. More specifically, I traded real estate valued at $85K for an aircraft valued @ $85k.

abezon

You report the real estate sale on schedule D and list $85,000 as the proceeds. Your basis in the airplane is $85,000.

B

bruce_fowler

Would this mean that the trade would be a wash and no capital gains would be paid if the two pieces of property are same value?

Would I be liable for Cap Gains if I paid $50K for the property and I am now trading for something worth $85K?

Thanks

abezon

In that scenario, you'd pay capital gains on $35,000. The only way to postpone the capital gains is if you used the property in business & trade the property for something else that is substantially the same & use it in business.

For example, if you sell a rental house & buy a new one within a certain time period, you can defer the gains on the house you sold. This is called a 1031 exchange. They are very technical & you should definitely hire an attorney or enrolled agent to help you structure the deal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">