• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fundraising and taxes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

pyramidjt

What is the name of your state? Arizona

I want to start an independent school fundraising drive. Money collected from it would go directly to the school instead of the district, which is in hot water for misappropriation of money.

I want to know if I need to be a legal entity other than myself. Do I need to start a non-profit corporation or a foundation or something? Or can I just set up cans at local stores and contribute all the money to the school at the end of the summer?

I'm worried that collection of money for the school might be taxable and I can't afford to pay extra taxes.

Thank you in advance!

:)

abezon

You do not need to set up anything special. However, you might find that you get more or larger donations if you set up a formal 501c3 non-profit corp. That way, people who donate money can deduct it on their taxes. I think this is how most band boosters groups are set up.

Since your concern is misuse of funds, you might consider using the donations to purchase items the school needs rather than giving them cash. The district might be able to force them to give back cash.

P

pyramidjt

Thank you!

The fundraising ideas is to place jars or cans at local retailers to collect change donations, so I don't think tax deductions would be an issue (true?).

The schools have a system set up so that donations may be made to the school directly by an individual (and I think businesses) and the money will not go to the district - whoever donates the money can specify what the funds are to be used for.

However, I do think the idea of purchasing items is a good one. I'll talk to the principal about what they need in particular.

The reason I want to do this is the fact that many teachers, while underpaid, buy their own classroom supplies because the district does't give them enough money to buy them with school funds. I admire the teachers for their dedication, but they shouldn't have to do that.

Thanks again!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">