• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

temporary or permanant??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? IN, ex wife in GA

My ex wife had a restraining order issued when we were getting a divorce in 1994. She has not allowed me to see my daughter since then, claiming, among other things, that she doesn't HAVE to because of this restraining order. In the "separation agreement" there is a clause that says: "..... affidavit will be relied on by the courts to determine whether to issue a restraining order in the divorce action pending between the parties." There is nothing regarding this in the final divorce agreement. What I want to know is if the restraining order is still in effect. How long are orders valid for? I called my ex'es house, the first and ONLY time since '94, last month, and she claims she reported it to the police as HARASSMENT, because she says it violated the "ORDER". She would not let me talk to my daughter, which is no surprise. If it makes any difference, our house at the time of the divorce is the address on the restraining order that I am supposed to stay away from. No other address is listed. I moved to Indiana 2 months after the divorce. THanx.

djohnson

There are ways around a PO from her and still seeingyour child. Is there any custody or visitation order? Why have you waited 9 years to try and see your daughter? If there is no order you will have to go court to get a court ordered visitation. If there is an order and you haven't used the opportunity to see her then why try now?

there hasn't BEEN an opportunity....

The visitation order is the usual one, I think.... every other weekend, 1 week at Christmas, 2 weeks in the summer. I have not known before NOW where my ex wife and my daughter were. Every where I have turned has told me HER address, etc are all private. But, however, she can have MY address, telephone, and even copies of my income tax. My step daughter gave me her current phone number. I've only dialed it that one time, she called the police. She will take that one incident and blow it up so bad the FBI and CIA are probably involved by now. This is just the tip of the iceburg as far as her elaborate scheming has been. She claimed for years to anyone that would listen that she was in the Witness Protection Program..... I pay 1000.00 a month in support, to HER, by alottment. She gets HER money each and every month. I can not afford to hire a lawyer. I don't feel I should HAVE to either. Even if the PO is no longer effective, she will most surely have gone to the courts to have another issued SIMPLY because I called that one time. By the way, no one answered the phone the time I did call, there was just a beeeeeeeeep. But she has caller ID and called my step-daughter hysterical that I had her number- so I can only imagine what bull she has stirred up NOW. EVEn after almost NINE years!

There is a court hearing for modification of support in July, (she wants MORE) I'm assuming she will pull every legal trick she can to have me arrested for SOMETHING then. I just would like to know what I can do, legally, to prevent her from causing ME more legal hassels, and be able to force her to let me see or at least talk to my daughter too. I live 1000 miles away, and I want to handle it all while I am there at the same time. I can't afford a 1000 mile trip every month to fight her for what is my RIGHT in the first place.

C

Carl E. Bailey

where to begin? as for the attorney "you need one"!!! family law will screw you every time," if you dont have a lawyer". in. has the same system as wiscon. where i live. you can fill out paperwork and have a attorney appointed to you by the court. you will have to pay, but there's no up front and there's lowerd fees " alot lower than hiring an attorney". (note) "make sure you pay the state their money back they get mean'. as for her wanting more money thats unheard of, because you pay $1,000 bucks a month for one kid! But it will happen if you dont get a lawyer-hint-hint-hint. when you get a attorney he can have your payments lowered,providing you are not in arrears. well good luck lemme know if I can help in any way bud, and I hope that this helps you out.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I wonder, Mr Thumbelina, if you could do us a favor and set up your own handle on here? I can never tell if it's you posting or your wife, which makes it tough to respond.

As for your situation - you can't afford to NOT have an attorney. Your situation is complicated, and it seems you're not on top of the legal issues enough to handle it on your own. Noone here can tell you if the RO is permanent or not - only someone who has the legal expertise and can look at the official copy can tell you that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">