• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

call atty question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

minorson

What is the name of your state? Tennessee

My sons arraignment is tomorrow. Can they take him directly to a juvenile facility. This is his first offense. When he was 16 he caught caught under age drinking but did his probabtion and they said it would be cleared from his record. Is this going to make a difference. He was not read his rights and was questioned without his parents being there. Can they do this? I'm very confused and scared!

thank you.

calatty

How old is he? What did he do?? I am not familiar with Tennessee procedures, but my guess is if he is a juvenile, and his crime was serious, he can be taken to a juvenile facility. I doubt the underage drinking will make a difference. A juvenile may be questioned without his parents being present, but if he was in custody and the questioning was designed to elicit incriminating responses from him, he should have been given Miranda warnings first.

M

minorson

callatty

My son is 17. He was charged for posession and intent to resale. They released him to his father. They never booked him. They hancuffed him and took him down for questioning. This is his first time. Should they have read him his miranda rights because they did not. What is the punishment for first offenders if they are a juvenile. He is 17 but will be 18 in june.

Thank You!

D

Diney

How Did It Go

Hello Minorson,

We're in the same situation and I know how you feel. How did the arraignment go? Did you hire a lawyer? :confused:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">