• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parents Moved Back to the UK 10 yrs ago.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kevco

California.

The never payed their capital gains tax on 30k profit. They moved back to the UK in 1993 when the capital gains was due.
I am getting married in August and they will be returning to the States for the first time since leaving in '93 to attend my wedding.

Will they be stopped beacuse of this? Will the IRS be waiting to get their money? Will they be allowed in? Is there anything I can do?

Any advice is truely appreciatted. I am a student who deperately needs some help here.

Thank you,
Kevco

abezon

Did they file a tax return in 1993? I strongly doubt customs will stop them from entering. Border guards don't have time to look up every name in the IRS computer to see if the person has back taxes.

K

kevco

Thanks for you post.
No, they never filed in 1993. They just left. I have my doubts about the ability for Customs to check on this in detail. Can you recommend any strategies in case their is a problem?
Thanks
kevco

abezon

Pish tosh. They're borrowing trouble even thinking about it. If the have to worry, tell them to worry that the cake decorator will have spelled your finace's name incorrectly. Or that the church will be struck by lightning & burn down 2 hours before the wedding. Both are more probable than them getting stopped at the border for tax problems.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">