• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Receiving a restraining order

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tiaaitt

What is the name of your state? IL

My ex-boyfriend keeps calling and e-mailing me messages and threats. My question is what steps do I have to take get a restraining order. And also what limits can be put in a restrainging order. Meaning, Can the restraining order include my place of employment and such. And how can I prove that he is harassing me?

stephenk

keep the voicemail messages he leaves you. keep the emails he leaves you. report his actions to the police. go to your local court and request paperwork for a restraining order. fill out the paperwork (sometimes there are legal attendants to help on the restraining order paperwork). pay the fee and request the court to sign the restraining order. have the order served on your ex by the marshal or sheriff department.

the order can restrict him from contacting you at home and work.

in defense.......

how do you defend yourself, though, when EVERY time you've tried to contact your 14 year old daughter, your ex has filed a police report? All to make you look like the bad guy and her come out smelling like roses?? Thats ONE phone call in 9 years, and numerous emails asking the ex for a way to excercise your visitation rights and see/talk to your daughter.

stephenk

Re: in defense.......

Thumbelina58 said:
how do you defend yourself, though, when EVERY time you've tried to contact your 14 year old daughter, your ex has filed a police report? All to make you look like the bad guy and her come out smelling like roses?? Thats ONE phone call in 9 years, and numerous emails asking the ex for a way to excercise your visitation rights and see/talk to your daughter.
First, dont hijack a thread to start a new subject.

Second, do you have a visitation order? If yes, why havent you gone to court to file contempt charges against the ex?

....because after NINE years, this is the first time I have had an address or phone number to contact my daughter through..........

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">