• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Citizens living in a foreign country

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sdf000

taxation without representation?

What is the name of your state? :confused: Last State was California.
Years ago I consulted the Embassy about voting in a foreign country. As it turns out, you have to have residence in a State and vote via absentee ballots. HOLD ON IT GETS COMPLICATED.

If you have not lived in that State or any other State during the past 6 months (average,some are more or less time) and/or voted in that State, elegibility to vote is denied.

The consulate agreed that there are thousands that can not vote in any election (Primary or General) because they are not residents in any particular State. I am one of these.

My question is the requirement to file taxes for income, capital gains, inheritance, etc.

What happened to the clause of our founding fathers ..."no taxation without representation...".
1) Is this a viable Right?
2) Does this mean: Since I can not vote (as one of those that "fall through the cracks"), I do not need to file taxes of any kind?
3) If this is viable, who would represent me should I ever be prevailed upon to file/pay taxes?

With 3 recent deaths in the family, I am wondering just how this RIGHT or NON RIGHT would work in declaring their deaths outside the country they lived in. Also, if I should gain on the sale of my property, if I am obliged to file/pay/report it to IRS

Last edited:

abezon

Contact the ACLU & see if they are interested in the case. My guess is that the problem lies in how US elections are structured. There are no national ballots. Presidents are elected by the electorial college, which is made up of delegates from the states. Members of Congress are elected to represent various states. For your voice to be heard, you have to vote in a state election. You might try to establish residence in a state that does not have an income tax. Then you could vote absentee.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">