• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

unusual income

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

hawkjm73

Arizona

I don't know if anyone here is familior with gold games, but the idea is, you send someone money through e-gold (an online currency) and overtime they send the money back with some amount of gain. Most are scams, so it is difficult to truly gain money this way, but a gain of one percent per day is doable. Non-scam sites seem to invest in the forex market.

How should one report the income from such ventures. If an account with a gold game site compounds, so that I do not have actual possesion of the money, do I report the income when the money reaches the account, or when I take the money out as cash? Both the site in question and e-gold are based in the U.S.

abezon

You must report the income when you have the right to receive it -- when you could withdraw it if you wanted to. You also have to designate how much of what's deposited in your account is return of investment & how much is interest or dividends. Your site should have info on tax reporting & how they report your income to the IRS.

H

hawkjm73

In general, these sites do not take any personal information at all, and most of them are gone within a couple of weeks. You have to make money quickly and get out. The ones that stay around don't give any feedback about taxes. I fear I'm doing a poor job of discribing them. If you would like, several can be observed at www.goldgames.org. Perhaps these will show what I mean. It is not at all like investing in an official bank.

Also, I am not sure what you mean by returns versus intrest and dividends.

abezon

return of investment = paying yourself back the money you originally invested.
interest = regular payments for loaned money.
dividends = payments you receive from a company in which you own stock, OR short term capital gains earned by a mutual fund in which you own shares.
capital gains/losses = profit/loss from the sale of property held for investment, such as stocks, mutual funds, foreign currency, art, land, Maine Coon cats, etc.

Most likely, your profits & losses would be reported on Schedule D as short term capital gains.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">