• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reporting domestic violence

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

Califmom63

What is the name of your state? California What is the statute of limitations on reporting domestic violence? I have been granted several restraining orders against my husband in the past & even though I have moved away, he still continues to harass me. He has not gotten physically violent for appx. 1 year now. However, due to his harassment & other issues, I would like to report the past incidents of abuse to help prove I still need to be protected from this person.

H

hmmbrdzz

Hi Randi563. I don't know what the statutes of limitations are in CA for DV / assault. (In NC, it's two years on the DV / assault). To help your case against him, though, I guess you know that you need to report any incidents of harrassment / assault as soon as they occur. But if you didn't, and if you want to report an incident of assault now (or harrassment), you need to call your county sheriff's dept and/or your police dept (who will probably advise you to go to the magistrate's office to file a report). If your husband has a history of assaulting you, and/or if several restraining orders have been granted to you in the past on account of him, the magistrate will no doubt help you (but don't wait any longer). Good luck.

hmmbrdzz

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">