• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Writing a book about my travels... issues?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

stingit

What is the name of your state? WA

I recently traveled through South East Asia and want to write a book about my travels. I'm kind of worried about 2 things:

1] I am using the real FIRST names of the other travelers that I met, because I thought maybe they'd get a kick out of seeing their name in a book, and recalling some of the adventures we shared. If someone for some reason, ends up having a problem with this, am I in any danger of being sued?

2) In the book I recall stories such as how border police made us pay money to get over the border, and also how officials would charge us $25 for a Visa, but give us a receipt for $20, making me wonder where the other $5 went. I am allowed to speak on this... I loved the countries and don't want to be barred from entering them again!

3] There were several guesthouses, restaurants and tours that I mention because they were very good... my comments are positive. Am I 'safe' in doing this sort of thing?

Thanks!

B

Boxcarbill

A person who writes a book that gets published is always in danger of being sued. You should be so lucky! Nothing improves the sales of a book like the publicity of a good lawsuit. I wouldn't worry about a suit. It is unlikely and if it happens the free publicity will be well worth the cost of defending the suit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">