• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

custody question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Mrs. Baum

What is the name of your state? Ohio I am new to this sight but my dh and I have a question we hope someone can answer. My DH and I were recently matched with a child who we hope will come home in July. Child has been in fostercare system for over two years. Child has alot of mental health issues which we will need to address. Child will need to see a psychiatrist and an occupational therapist. Part of the reason child has been in care so long is because there is a Grandmother who would like custody of child.Agency has stated that they have tried to work with Grandmother but she refuses to acknowledge that child has any mental health issues at all and says she does not need to see a psychiatrist at all and that child "acts just fine when she is with her" The agency has said that the few visits that child has had with Grandmother (for some reason there have not been many I don't know why) it has not gone well. Agency has ruled Grandmother out as a permenant home for child. Agency has also told us that psychiatrist has "gone on record" stating the type of home child needs and I guess Grandma does not match this. Our question is does judge usually rule in favor of the agencys statements or do they go in favor of a relative every if told not a good setting for child? Any advice or info would be helpful. One kast thing this is a small county the agency does not go for pcc very often and I think there are two judges in county. I don't know if this makes any difference. Thanks Mrs. Baum

Seanscott

Who are you referring to as the agency? Is this an adoption or are you taking in a foster child?

Nobody can truthfully tell you how a judge will decide. If this report is from a government agency, I'm sure it will carry a lot of weight with the judge. If the department of foster child care will not recommend that "Grandma" gets custody, that is a very detrimental mark against her.

The judge will do whatever is in the child's best interests. Remember that! With the psychiatric report and the agency's recommendations, you should be in good shape.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge will come along and give you a more complete answer.

Good luck to you.

M

Mrs. Baum

The Agency is the county agency who handles fostercare and adoption We have been matched to adopt child. Thanks so much for your input Mrs. Baum

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">