• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Non Profit shared income question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

BenLoe

What is the name of your state? Utah
I am the trustee of a non profit corporation named American Literary Society. One of it's purposes is to perpetuate the works of great and famous authors.

In line with these purposes the N/P Corp has purchased from me a screen play adaptation of a Charles Dickens Masterpiece and intends to produce a movie film from this screen play.

An international Film Distributor is giving us a Distribution Guarantee and a guarantee of funds from pre-sales of 35% of our production budget as long as the total budget does not exceed $10,000,000 provided we raise the balance of 65% of whatever the budget amount will be. ( Will probaly be a much lessor total)

Naturally, the proceeds of the film will go to the N/P foundation.

To raise our share of the budget the N/P corp wants to sell 50% of it's ownership of the screen play to private persons who will expect to receive 50% of the revenue that the finished film brings in to the N/P Corp.

The income to these private purchasers will, of course be income to them whereas, I believe, the proceeds that the N/P Corp will retain need NOT be declared as income because of the benefits to society that the funds will be used for by the N/P Corp.

Can the N/P Corp sell 50% of the Screen Play and, out of the revenue it receives, pay 50% to the purchasers who then will own 1/2 of this asset. Ben Loewy [email protected]

abezon

Confucious say: Before risking millions, the wise individual spends a thousand on an attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">