• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Check Fraud

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

Diney

What is the name of your state? Califoria

I'm inquiring for a very good friend of mine. Her MINOR son is in trouble. Here's the story:

My friend's son has his own bank account (joint account with his mother). His friend provided him with a stolen check. He did not know it was stolen. It was a check payable to a third party (not payable to her son nor the friend). His friend asked him to deposit the check onto his account and withdraw the money out. The friend told him that he needed to cash the check but that he didn't have a bank account. My friend's son obliged, endorsed the check, deposited the check through the ATM and took the money out and gave it to his friend. Of course, the check bounced as it was a closed account. The bank contacted his mother and asked that she covers the money that was withdrawn from the bank.

Question: Who gets in trouble here with the bank? Can my friend file charges against her son's friend for giving him a stolen/bad check?

C

cenami

As far as I know.

The person that deposits the check is going to be the one to remburse the bank for the funds not being avalable on the closed account. As far as recorse against the original person providing the check, I would ask for assistance from the bank, and I would assume this would include contacting the police in your town.
Either way the account holder will have to make it right with their bank.

JETX

Cenami is incorrect. This is simply a civil matter between the bank and the account holder. The police will NOT get involved in this. They may take interest if someone files a complaint, but that is not part of your post.

Simply, the son is going to have to cover the losses incurred by the bank.

And the son will have to consider pursuing legal process against his 'friend'.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">