• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lookimg for your opinion on this case

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Mephisto

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

My friend was pulled over for speeding and the officer took all 3 of our ids of the 3 people in the car. Another officer came up to my side (the passenger side) and told me to step out the car, then proceeded to ask me a few questions and then pat me down finding a pipe in my pocket and then a small amount of marijuana in my other. They later told me the original reason i was pulled out was because no record of me came up. After me they procedded to pull out the back seat passenger and pat him down finding a pipe. There reason for him was he had a suspended drivers license but he wasnt driving, after searching the car and finding nothing they let the driver go without even a speeding ticket, were these legit reasons to remove myself and the backseat passenger from the car? Please give me your opinion on how we should plead and why? Thanx

racer72

What were you and the other passenger charged with? The stop itself sounds legitimate, many folks are pulled over for speeding and released without a citation (it has happened to me twice). The problems with the ID's gave the officers probable cause for the searches.

M

Mephisto

i was charged with possession and paraphanalia and my friend got just paraphanalia

B

badtenant

See what dope does to you, makes ya stooopid.

The police office made an innocent traffic stop, that turned into your arrest.

Its so EASY to catch stoopid criminals.

Why not just toke at home? what if you were carring a few ounces you just bought and got stopped? that would be BIG jail time.

You have to be smart and one step ahead of the cops, and you're not that bright.

G

GKris

New case law says that a passenger does not have to provide an ID in a traffic stop. You can be asked to step out of the vehicle and can be questioned, but you do not have to provide an ID. We do not tell folks this, just simply ask for one. It is usually handed over without a problem which is cool for us. If you say "I'd rather not" then you do not have to. Naturally this will lead to other things but its the way of the world now. The pat downs were all legal, seemed like the discovery of the stuff was legal too if he wrote it right.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">