• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Supplemental Pension - Soc.Sec. & Medicare Taxation ???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lenkrauss

What is the name of your state? Florida

I'm retired, and receive a qualified pension reported on form 1099-R from former employer X.

I also receive from former employer X what I call a supplemental pension, a once-a-year payment that I started to receive upon retirement, which was agreed to at the time I was hired. The purpose of the payments was to make up the difference in a normal retirement pension that I would have received, had I stayed with and retired from my previous employer. The payment is reported on form W-2, with deductions for federal income taxes, Social Security and Medicare.

Is there some argument that can be made to re-characterize these payments so that they are not subject to Social Security and Medicare deductions?

Would appreciate all ideas and I thank you.

Len

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">