• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tracing Family Roots

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TxMsLady

What is the name of your state? Texas

I understand that adoptions are closed. However, I am trying to trace family roots of my great grandmother. She passed away over 40 years ago in the 1950's. Is there anyway to have her adoption record opened up to find out who her birth parents were? This was my dad's grandmother. He passed away 10 years ago, and there is no one else left of my dad's family save one brother who doesn't know anything.

According to what little information my dad had years ago, my grandmother was in an orphanage and was adopted by a Dr. and his wife when she was 12 yrs. old. I know her adopted name, and married name. I also have her death certificate stating what county she was born in TX, however, back in the 1800's, they didn't keep birth certificates like they do now. That is what the county courthouse told me when I contacted them. Since I know what county she was living in during the time of her adoption, would it be possible to have her adoption record opened since so much time has passed? And if so, is there a simple way to have this done without hiring a lawyer?

Thank you in advance for your time and advice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">