• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fraudulent Restraint

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

albion

What is the name of your state? NY

My father has been living with his girlfriend for at least 2 years in New York (Suffolk County Long Island), and they have been together for many more. They are in the process of selling her house (she owns it on a mortgage) and separating. My father claims that, in response to his seeking monetary compensation in the separation, she called the police and had him barred from entering the house, claiming abusive threats. I am not sure of the exact nature of the claims, but they are likely fabricated.

In that case, what recourse does my father have? He cannot access the house or his possessions until she moves out, and she is moving out of state by the end of the month. He claims he cannot afford a costly lawyer, though he could probably take on debt to hire one. Any advice for the situation?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">