• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parking ticket advise

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

JOHANNsebastian

What is the name of your state? Oregon

I received two consecutive traffic infractions on 14 June 2003 for parking in a thirty-minute time zone for longer than thirty-minutes. The first infraction was posted to my vehicle at 12:13 and the second was posted at 12:56. I stand opposed that I was parked in the alleged parking space. I understand that I am innocent until proven guilty. I understand, in my case, this means that the court has the burden to prove a little more than 50% that I parked in a thirty-minute zone longer than thirty minutes. My citation states time specifically that I am being charged with parking in a thirty minute Zone for a period of time that exceeds thirty minutes. The posted sigh does not convey a thirty-minute limit but instead the posted sign conveys a 15-minute parking limit.

My question too you is do I have a chance of winning on the basis that my charge is not correct. Since they have to prove I parked in a thirty-minute space and the thirty-minute space does not exist.

Remember, aside from that I am also contesting that I was not in the alleged space to begin with.

Last edited:

racer72

Your claim is pretty lame. And the citation is the only proof the court needs, they do not have to prove anything else. It is going to be up to you to prove the citations are not warranted and you have nothing in your post that would be a valid defense. Your claim of the signs not matching the citations only reinforces the validity of the citations, it will not help you at all.

My suggestion. Parking tickets are not moving violations and do not count against your driving record. Pay the tickets.

S

sdstrooper

In my experience, "the law is the law". Your ticket also has to be EXACTLY correct in order to stand in a court of law. I suggest that you take a picture of the 15 minute sign, take it to court and state that your ticket is inaccurate because you didn't park in a 30 minute zone. In some courts it will work, some it won't. Depends who the judge is at that particular time.

M

mRoc

parking tickets as a business

in my experience, much like moving violations, parking tickets are just a source of income for the city. They could care less whether or not the ticket was rightfully issued. You have the right to contest, basically you're not innocent until proven guilty since by the fact that the officer issued a citation, there's no hearsay or claim of your guilt but rather a direct proof by an officer of your violation. You then have to actually prove that he wrongfully issued the violation in order to get away from it, or prove just cause for the violation. Example, I got a parking ticket one time, luckily for me I was going to buy some tires for my car, so what I did was contest the ticket by stating that two of my tires were flat and I was on my way to purchase them while I received the ticket, I presented a copy of my receipt of the tires which showed the day and time to match. Therefore, I showed justfifiable cause and luckily someone actually read my letter and dismissed the case. However, I got lucky, most of the letter don't get read, they just get answered with a form letter informing you that the case has been investigated and it has been shown that the citation was issued rightfully. In either case, if your entire case is based on the fact that the ticket says it's a 30 min zone and the zone was actually 15 min, it just means that you got lucky and didn't get more tickets in the time you were there. considering you must have taken the firts ticket off your window or else a second wouldn't have been issued, it proves that you were very aware of the parking limitations. If you present this to the judge he'll laugh and tell you to pay. My advice? you're ****ed, just pay the ticket and pay more attention next time. sorry ...

I had one recently also, I wasn't even parked, just stopped. The officer came to my window just to tell me not to go anywhere while he wrote me up. I have no choice but to pay.

Remember, the city makes a ****load of money from these citations, they're not about to give it up easily.

mRoc -

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">