• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

step parent adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jaimie root

WhI need to ask a question and I am totally clueless, I have searched and searched.
Is there a legal way for a child to have three legal parents?
I have remarried and have two little girls, my husband wants so badly to adopt them, however their biological father still is in contact with the girls and even pays child support. I could not deem him unfit by the standards of the law, and I know he would never relinquish his parental rights. I don’t think he would have an issue with a 3rd parent he respects the hard work my husband has put into raising these girls, at the very least I would like to know if we can add his name to their name.

Any help you could give me would be so greatly appreciated.
at is the name of your state? florida is the state, puzzled mom

CMSC

If it is just the name change you are concerned about, if you and your ex agree, you could petition to either change the last name of the children to your husbands OR atleast hyphenate it. Doesn't change anything legality wise, your husband will still be a step parent and bio dad will still be legally responsible for everything.

J

jaimie root

step parent being 3rd legal parent

I wish i knew a way to make the law change if it is not in place, i know there are alot of people that step in and assume the role of a parent and get no real legal recognition for it. like in my case, these children are more his then their biological fathers, yet they will carry his name until they marry? it does not seem right.

CMSC

You can petition for a name change many judges will do it just to keep the children all having the same name. It just really depends on the judge.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">