• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

question about searching for birth parents

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

SlvrAngylMyst

What is the name of your state? Illinois

My mother was adopted in 1956, in the state of colorado.
At her request, I'm attempting to find her biological parents.
this is due to her having had numerous medical problems, as well as questions about ethnic heritage. However it is my understanding that the adoption record was sealed.

how do I go about getting that record unsealed?

so that I might locate any biological family she might have to obtain medical and heritage information, if nothing else. she would like to meet them, but she is willing to leave the matter at medical and heritage information.

CMSC

I just found my birthmother last week, so let me see if I can help!:)

You can email me your information if you want and I can do some checking on some things. My address is [email protected] Tell me what hospital she was adopted at, if she knows anything, even little things about it. What year it took place, how old was she etc.

As far as opening colorado adoption records here is the law and tons of info to obtain the records.:) Good luck!!!

Obtaining Non-Identifying Information:

Non-identifying information is available to adopted adults, adoptive parents, and descendants (age 18 or older) of deceased adopted adults.

Obtaining Identifying Information:

Identifying information is provided through an adoption registry and through provisions related to release of the original birth certificate, described below.

Using a Confidential Intermediary:

Adopted adults, adoptive parents, birth parents, and birth siblings and half-siblings age 18 or older may file a motion in the court to appoint a confidential intermediary to search for birth relatives who are older than 18. After the two parties consent, contact will be made after the court consents.

Colorado Confidential Intermediary Services
PO Box 260460
Lakewood, CO 80226
(303) 237-6919
http://www.cocis.org

Using the Adoption Registry:

The following parties may use the adoption registry: adopted adults; descendants of a deceased adopted adult; birth siblings; adoptive parents for the purpose of obtaining medical information that affects an adopted person; birth parents and their lineal ascendants; and descendents of deceased genetic parents. Both birth parents must consent for either to be matched with an adopted adult unless only one parent is named on the original birth certificate or the other birth parent is deceased or cannot be contacted.

Colorado Voluntary Adoption Registry
Colorado Department of Health
4300 Cherry Creek Drive South
Denver, CO 80222
(303) 692-2188

Obtaining an Original Birth Certificate:

For adoptions finalized after September 1, 1999, an adoptee 18 or older will automatically have access to original birth records unless a birth parent has filed a confidentiality request within 3 years of relinquishment. If an adoptee is part of an adopted sibling group, all members of the sibling group must be 18 before records can be released. If a confidentiality request is on file, the parties can still use the confidential intermediary process and mutually agree to contact and release of the original birth records. For adoptions finalized prior to September 1, 1999, birth parents and adoptees will have access to original birth records by mutual consent. Confidential intermediaries will be able to secure release of adoption records to mutually consenting parties. If the party being sought is deceased, records will be available to the searching party.

The above material may be reproduced and distributed without permission; however, appropriate citation must be given to the National Adoption Information Clearinghouse.

Searching Sites

Adoption Search And Reunion - also includes a registry (non official by the state, but still good)

Support Groups:

AIS - (Adoptees In Search), PO Box 24556, Denver, CO 80224 (303) 232-6302

CCIS (Colorado Confidential Intermediary Service), Carla Schuh, PO Box 260460, Lakewood, CO 80226 (303) 237-6919

Official Colorado Registry, Theresa Salazar, CO Dept. of Health, 4300 Cherry Creek Drive South, Denver, CO 80222-1530 (303) 692-2188 [email protected]

Concerned United Birthparents

CUB''s focus is on birthparents, the forgotten people of the adoption community. They welcome adoptees, adoptive parents, and professionals.
6429 Mendelssohn Lane, Edina, MN 55343
(952) 930-9058
[email protected]
http://www.cubirthparents.org

Welcome to CUB Denver -

Providing Support for over 20 years!

Meetings held on the 3rd Sunday of each month from 1:30-3:30PM, at Lutheran Medical Center, 8300 West 38th Ave., 2nd Floor Coffee Shop Conference Room (CSCR), Wheat Ridge, CO. For directions or info, call CUB info line 303-825-3430.

Contact info:

CUB Info Line 303-825-3430.
Email [email protected]
Mailing address: CUB, PO Box 2137, Wheat Ridge, CO 80034-2137
Membership Form

Denver Branch:

Leader: coordinator
Treasurer & Membership: Ann Hunter
Secretary: (open)
Search: Sandra Sendtko

Branch Librarian: Call CUB 303-825-3430 or email

nextwife

Good luck, and once you do obtain the birthparent names, be prepared for the following

1. It is very possible that at least one of them may no longer be alive. I am that age and my dad has been gone since '79, and his only sibling gone for 10 years. His parents gone since the late 60s.

2. It is very possible that the birthmom has a different name now, due to marriage. And that she has no idea where the birthdad is today.

3. IF they are from certain immigrant backgrounds in which there was a lot of movement, they may know little family health history. MY DH came here as a kid in the earky 60s, and his dad had already died in Europe. He literally knows NOTHING about his paternal health history, either his own dad's or his dad's family. And virtually nothing about his mother's family, as it just was not something that was discussed openly, and her family did not come to the US. And my SILs family are Holocaust survivors, lost the generation before her parents. They know no family health history before her parents. MY daughter's birthmother (in EE) is Roma. The orphanage laughed at us when we asked about family health history, as her BM evidentally had none to provide and her BF was "unknown". Remember, 1956 is pre-DNA testing. So, the possibility also exists that it is uncertain who the BF is.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">