• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can i adopt my brothers daughter??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

arrowzinger

What is the name of your state? michigan my brother has soul custody of his daughter (mic) and her mother has been declared unfit. my brother wants mic to be adopted in case if anything should happen to him. my brother wants to remain the custodial parent. can i or our mother adopt mic? does my brothers current wife have more rights to mic than my mother or i ? please answer if you know anything on this subject

thank you
bj

stephenk

if you adopt the daughter your brother will have no rights to her.

But first, just because he has sole custody does not mean the biological mother has no say in the whole process. She can object to the adoption and unless she has abandoned her daughter, it will be difficult for a court to let the adoption go through.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">