• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unreimbursed Business expenses??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

justin_b31

Georgia resident.

I accepted a contract, from a GA based company, to travel to Oklahoma city, issue a product, and return home after the contract ends (approx 7 months).

Company wouldn't pay either relocation nor per diem, I pay all expenses out-of-pocket.

Is my understanding, that I am a resident of GA and am here for business purposes only, that my out-of-pocket expenses can be considered unreimbursed business expenses, as I will return to GA after the contract is completed.

EXAMPLE: Though I maintain a permanent residence in GA, I had to lease an apartment in Oklahoma, etc to live temporarily. My GA address is still used as my mailing address for all bills and correspondence to me, etc - with exception to the local utility bills in Oklahoma.

My reasoning is that, I've been on several extended "business trips" or Temporary Duty in the past and any expense not covered I was able to claim as a deduction.

My current situation is similar in that the company has a temporary need for me to work in another state.

I'll appreciate your comments and advise. Thank you for your time.

abezon

You are correct, assuming you have "significant expenses" maintaining your home in GA while you work in arious locations. I.e., a mortgage, not just keeping a room in your parents' house.

You can deduct every penny you spend on rent & utilities in OK, your miles driving to OK or driving back & forth to work while you're in OK (keep a written log), business-related cell phone use/internet access (again, a log), and number of days in OK (for the meal per diem deduction). Don't forget to deduct you other misc expenses as well -- job search costs, tax prep fees, union dues, work equipment/tools, etc.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">