• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Underage Drinking - State Park

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Shamanix

New Jersey

Me and 3 of my friends were caught by a park ranger with 5 beers down by a cedar creek that just happened to be a State Park as well. Me being the only one over 18 was the only one ticketed. I have one for underage drinking and one that just says 'Conduct'. What does the conduct one mean?

I have a court date for both at the same time, what should I expect, just a fine? It is my first offense and we did only have 5 beers with us, plus I am a college student with a job, so that might help me out. Does NJ have a mandatory minumum for this?

I didn't even have a car down there, so it was not like I planned to drink and drive.

Last edited:

HomeGuru

Shamanix said:
New Jersey

Me and 3 of my friends were caught by a park ranger with 5 beers down by a cedar creek that just happened to be a State Park as well.

**A: don't you know that NJ law does not allow drinking in state parks?
Me being the only one over 18 was the only one ticketed. I have one for underage drinking and one that just says 'Conduct'. What does the conduct one mean?

**A: what do you think it means?
And to top it off, you are not even the legal drinking age.

I have a court date for both at the same time, what should I expect, just a fine? It is my first offense and we did only have 5 beers with us,

**A: oh, you have a good point. Yes, because if you had 6 beers (which 5 is the maximum limit for an underage person to have in a NJ state park), you would have been arrested and kept in jail.

plus I am a college student with a job, so that might help me out.

**A: of course, so when you go to court plead the college student with a job scenario to the judge and see an immediate waiver and reduction in your sentence.

Does NJ have a mandatory minumum for this?

**A: yes and there is also a minimum mandatory sentence.

I didn't even have a car down there, so it was not like I planned to drink and drive.

**A: very good reasoning. So make sure you do not get accused of premeditated drinking and driving.

Shamanix

No need to be sarcastic, its not like I know the law that well. All I was saying is that those are mitigating circumstances when it comes to the penalty I'm going to get. I talked to someone at the courthouse and they said that I'll get a chance to plea with the prosecutor beforehand, so would these be good points to bring up with him?

L

loocpoc

Shamanix said:
What does the conduct one mean?
Disorderly conduct..

Fine for drinking in a public park are:

$71 for alcohol in state park

Municpal judges get some great varying in fining for underage drinking and disorderly conduct. You can get a fine anywhere from $50 to $1000, depending upon past record, if its a municpal violation or state etc.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">