• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Want to adopt child, but mother won't sign over.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

pjcounts

What is the name of your state? arkansas
i have temporary custody of a child from our church. we got custody when she went to school and said that her step father had been molesting her, at which time her mother said we could have custody or we could adopt her whatever. this has been going on for a month. we have had her moms food stamps and child support stopped, and now we have had to get an order of protection against her. anyway she is not to happy with us right now, and said that she would not sign over adoption papers. the investigation into the step father has been dropped, because there is no physical evidence. the childs therapist has said that it is better if the child stays with me, and i agree. the child doesn't want to go home, and almost has a nervous break down if i just tell her that her mother called. i believe that the child is in fear for her life. there has been physical, mental, and sexual abuse going on in her mothers house.

H

hexeliebe

The only way you're going to get to adopt this child is 1. if both parents terminate parental rights in court and the court allows the adoption or; 2. if you get child services involved and they determine that the child has in fact been molested, move to terminate the parental rights and you petition the court to adopt.

The mother (or father) simply signing over their rights won't give you any rights to adopt because, parental rights cannot be walked away from without an order from the court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">