• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

property seizure

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

deepsheeit

What is the name of your state? MA

i'm concerned about the potential loss of my childhood home. my father (retired and broke) owes $150, 000 to the irs. however, the house was transferred to my mother's name over 4 years ago. she filed separate income tax returns for the years in question ( the years that comprise the debt). i also still reside at the residence. the house has an appraised value of approx $249,000 but can sell for close to $400,000 on the market. my father received a third notice about this debt from the irs...can someone cast some light on the steps leading up to seizure? and will my mother be a target even if she filed separate tax returns for the years in question...and will the house be targeted even if it was transferred to my mother four years ago? thanks a bunch for any insight...

abezon

Have your father contact a tax attorney or enrolled agent about making an offer in compromise, based on the uncollectability of the debt. This will make the whole thing go away. The attorney or EA can help with the statement of assets and how much to offer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">