• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

emotional abuse

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

damamma

What is the name of your state? Illinois
Ex has custody of my Two children Female, 16 and male 14,
14 yr old son now wants to move with me, same state, 45 mi away,

father is vendictive, manipulating, controlling and emotionally abusive (been there) son is now old enough to see this and NEEDS out before he is destroyed as I was

what can he or I do to Keep him here after his summer visitation is up and until there is a final decision made in the courts?

Are there any support groups ar advise groups in this area that we can get advise on how to start --what should we do!!!!!

H

hexeliebe

what can he or I do to Keep him here after his summer visitation is up and until there is a final decision made in the courts?
Not a damn thing. Unless you want to go to jail. You answered your own question by the way when you said "Until there is a final decision made in the courts."

That's who can tell your son where he lives and with whom. If you don't get a result before the time he needs to go back, make sure he understands that he must return until such time as the court gives you custody.

Otherwise, YOU, not him, will be in contempt of court.

Now, on a personal level, get this kid some counseling. Even if you have to pay for it until the court issues an order for the costs. It's not easy dealing with an abusive parent but it can be done with help and teaching him coping skills.

That's a job for a therapst. not for you at this time.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
damamma said:
You'd need to file for a modification of custody. He's old enough that a judge will likely listen to him and at least consider his wishes. But you can't just keep him at the end of his summer visitation - you need a court order to allow you to do so.

V

VeeGee

That's a damn shame, a parent having to send their child who is being abused back to the abuser, until they get a court order. It may be too late by then, if I were you I'd do this ASAP!!!!!!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">