• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

abusive mom and child custody

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

trysohard

What is the name of your state? Georgia

I am totally devastated at this time. My roommate's CRAZY mother came to my apartment yesterday and was OFF THE CHAIN. My daughter opened the door and realized it wasn't someone she knew. Well, as she tried to close the door, this woman came in started ranting and raving about me and my roomate in front of the children. I have two girls, 9 and 4, and he has a son,2, by her.
I already know their history and asked her to leave. She picked up one of my glass votives and threatened to hit me with it. I went to my room and dialed 911. When I came back out, she had beat my roommate in the head with the votive and he was bleeding profusely. After she was finished, I grabbed her in an attempt to talk to her and explained that my roommate and I had a platonic relationship. She next became tearful and wanted to apologize and begged me not to press charges. I am pressing charges, because it devastated my kids. They are afraid to answer the door, now.
She had warrants on her and posted bail today. My question is, isn't there some way he can gain custody of his son? She is obviously unstable and has done this type of beating to him multiple times.
He had their son due to her coming to his job and dropping the child off at the front gate. She then went and filed a missing child report and acted as if he had kidnapped their child. The police came and picked up his son and returned him to his unstable mother.
I told him to get a lawyer, but I don't know what else to tell him. Please help!!

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
If she's abusive to the child, he can call CPS. He could file for a restraining order, but would need proof of her abuse of him - did he ever call the cops on her? You could file for a restraining order, which would at least keep her away from your place.

As for custody - his best bet would be to talk to a lawyer and see what s/he says about his chances.

T

trysohard

He has called the police on her. As a matter of fact, the police who came to my home told me that he had been to their home several times for her abusing him and him taking it. He does have an appointment with a lawyer next week. Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">