• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Attorney took advantage of my lack of knowledge

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

controlledchaos

Mpls. MN

When I was 18 I got mixed up with some real winners. I ended up dropping a guy off one sunny afternoon only to be arrested hours later. I was charged with aiding and abiding of gun theft.

After 15 months and thousands of dollars later and finding out that those who say they are your friends really are your worst enemies. Once I was asked to take the wrap for the other two defendants I rightfully spilled the beans on them and took the charge and sentence and moved on with my life. Shortly after my release from jail I was served with judgment papers and after going around and around with them about the restitution and listening to them tell me to do anything short of theft or murder to get them the money quickly. They told me that the new purchase price for the 70 handguns was 16,000 (but they where used guns)? They told me since they where scratched up a little that the insurance co. had to pay out. Well what happened to the money that they must have gotten from auctioning off the guns? When I asked this question I have always been given the run around never told. So I finally decided to sell my only priced possession, 89 mustang GT 5.0 convertible. Now the reason I decided to do this was because they told me if I did so they would only hold me liable for 1/3 of the restitution that I felt I was liable for. In doing so they had me sign some papers that I was later explained to and 11 years later COMPLETELY understand that if I couldn’t sell my car within said amount of time I would pay 12,000 of the 16,000. Since I was so young and straight off the farm (No pun intended, I really was), and since then they’ve always been evasive in answering any of my questions about if and when the guns where auctioned and if so, what happened to the money from that. They also refuse to go after the other two men involved? They act as though they can’t for some reason. Who can I talk to since I REALLY feel like I was taken advantage of and bullied by this law firm, and what can I do to get this judgment reduced to the proper 1/3 that I feel I should only be responsible for.

C

controlledchaos

The judgment was issued when I think I was 20 or 21?

C

controlledchaos

Let's see, 1993 is when I was convicted and this happened after jail, so I'd say 94 but no later then 95. If you need exact date I can get it for you.

Last edited:

stephenk

Sorry, its too late to try and get out of the judgment. Your time to appeal the default and the judgment has long passed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">