• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My sister is a thief!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

N&M

What is the name of your state? Texas

My sister got a hold of some checks. She made them out to herself and signed the account holder's name. She had been caught.

The account holder is asking my sister to pay them back directly which she is in the process of doing.

My concerns are:
1) Won't the bank or DA prosecute my sister?
2) If they do, won't she have to pay the bank back? (the bank has reimbursed the account holder for 1 check and not the other).
3) What are the penalties of forgery?
4) What can my sister do at this point to "make things right"?

JETX

"1) Won't the bank or DA prosecute my sister?"
*** The bank could file charges due to the check that they got 'stuck with', but the DA won't proceed on the others without a complainant.

"2) If they do, won't she have to pay the bank back? (the bank has reimbursed the account holder for 1 check and not the other)."
*** Yes, it is likely that any penalty she would face would include restitution.

"3) What are the penalties of forgery?"
*** Actually, the real concern would be the charge of theft. Depending on the amounts involved, this could easily be a felony.

"4) What can my sister do at this point to "make things right"?"
*** Continue to do as she is.... making the checks good and hope that charges aren't filed. There is really nothing she can do to assure that a complaint isn't filed by one of her 'victims'.

S

sdstrooper

Because it was a check forgery and involves a bank, don't be suprised if the Feds come knocking on your door. If they do, your sister should expect jail time in a federal prison for being stupid.

N

N&M

The amount totals $650. Would it be wise for her to contact the bank? At this point, she is only doing what she has been told to do by the "victim".

I agree that what she did is stupid and there's no excuse. Maybe jail time would be a good wake up call.

B

Boxcarbill

N&M said:
The amount totals $650. Would it be wise for her to contact the bank? At this point, she is only doing what she has been told to do by the "victim".

I agree that what she did is stupid and there's no excuse. Maybe jail time would be a good wake up call.
Then the theft amount makes it a class A misdemeanor whereas the forgery is a state Jail felony and the the forgery being the greater offense is what the state would prosecute. State jail felonies, without any priors and without the state jail felony involving the use of a weapon, is punishable by confinement in a state jail for any term of not more than two years or less than 180 days and a fine fine not to exceed $10,000.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">