• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

noisy neighbor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cogitoergodoleo

What is the name of your state? Ohio
We bought the house we're living in last October, and for about three months now our neighbor has been driving us crazy with his loud stereo music. He plays his music at any time of the night or day and it is so loud that our windows are rattling and the floor vibrates under our feet. We are not the only neigbors who feel disturbed by this noise, there were times when 4 different parties have called the police almost simultaneously.
The problem is that the police does not seem to be able to do anything. We live in a township that has no noise ordinance. The sheriff pretty much told us that other than come out here and talk to the guy next door every time we call them, the police can do nothing. I find it hard to believe that there is no law to keep a single person from harassing a whole neighborhood, so my first question is, if there is no ordinance, are there any other laws that could apply?
I've heard from different sources that it is possible to write out a complaint and have all neighbors who feel their peace is being disturbed sign it, and that this would enable the authorities to do more than just come by every night or so to talk to the guy. Is that true, and what would such a complaint have to look like?
Also, if there is no ordinance, can that be changed and how?
Sorry, I know I have a lot of questions, but I haven't been sleeping very well for the last couple of months and I'm desperate.

stephenk

consult with a local attorney who is familiar with your townships laws and the laws of Ohio. specifically look up nuisance laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">