• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

probation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Jewel0604

What is the name of your state? tx

what exactly happens when you are on probation? It is possible I might have to be on probation, but was wondering what exactly probation entails?
Thanks for any help.

B

Boxcarbill

Jewel0604 said:
What is the name of your state? tx

what exactly happens when you are on probation? It is possible I might have to be on probation, but was wondering what exactly probation entails?
Thanks for any help.
You are required to report to your probation officer monthly or as directed. You are required to allow your probation to meet with you in your home or at other times and places as your probation officer may direct. You are required not to commit any offense against the law of this state or any other state or against the United States. (Traffic violations and parking violations don't count.) You are required not to leave the county without permission from your probation office--that means vacation or week-end trips. You are required to give notice on any intended change of address or telephone number and to provide that information to your p.o.. You are required to not hang around with people of disrepute or to be go to such places. You are to be gainfully employed in "suitable" employement. You are required to submit to urinalysis at the request of your p.o.. You are required to pay probationary fees in a fixed monthly amount; to pay fine and cost in a fixed monthly amount; and you may also have a monthly fixed amount to pay in restitution. Each payment is a separate term and condition of your probation. Violation of a term or condition of probation may result in an Application to revoke probation being filed. I can absolutely guarantee you (and there are extremely few guarantees in life) that if you fail to report to your probation officer, you will be revoked. I don't care what the excuse is. You fail to report and the ONLY two defenses are: I was hospitalized and unable to report. In which case that is supported with medical records or I was in jail and unable to report. In which case, that defense is proved up by the jail card. Nothing and I do mean nothing else will work--not my child died; not my car broke down; not aliens abducted me. You call and report to your probation office that your child died or that you are currently in a space ship headed out of this galaxy. The court will revoke probation for failure to report.

You will be given a copy of the terms and conditions of your probation from your probation officer. You are expected to memorize the terms. If you lose your copy, it is your responsibility to obtain another copy. Probation is a gift and the Judge who gives it can taketh it a way.

J

Jewel0604

are you able to travel to another city or out of state while on probation?

J

Jewel0604

sorry boxcarbill...i noticed you addressed that in your response (i think i looked over it). thanks for all your help, like always!

racer72

BCB failed to mention the one thing that catches a lot of folks on probation. Your place of residence can be searched by the parole officer and police without the need of a search warrant. If and when you get probation you will receive a list of all your do's and don't's.

B

badtenant

So that means......

YOU HAVE TO SEARCH ALL YOUR FRIENDS FOR DRUGS BEFORE THEY CAN COME IN YOUR HOUSE!!!!

B

Boxcarbill

racer72 said:
BCB failed to mention the one thing that catches a lot of folks on probation. Your place of residence can be searched by the parole officer and police without the need of a search warrant. If and when you get probation you will receive a list of all your do's and don't's.
I feel quite certain that I didn't mention one or more of the terms of probation, since I wasn't copying from the terms and conditions of probation; however, the search of the residence isn't one of the standard terms and conditions of probation. Additional terms and conditions of probation may be required for a particular offense--like the seach of a residence, upon a reasonable suspicion of criminal activity, if the probation is for a drug offense. The poster's offense, however, is not a drug charge.

J

Jewel0604

what if you can't pay your fees? obviously if you have ot have a court appointed attorney, you dont' have money to pay for anything.

A

angel64

probation is a joke

I know this man personnally that has broke probation several times including 2 cts aggr.assault with a pistol but all he gets is a couple of days in jail and gets out to do it all again.Now he has stalking charges on him and he will get to walk again so the system sucks it doesnt protect the victims....

C

condaggitt

Jewel0604 said:
what if you can't pay your fees? obviously if you have ot have a court appointed attorney, you dont' have money to pay for anything.

Then they will house you in their facilty (jail) for a while so you will learn your lessson.

B

Boxcarbill

Jewel0604 said:
From my original response: "Each payment is a separate term and condition of your probation. Violation of a term or condition of probation may result in an Application to revoke probation being filed."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">