• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sister Forged Checks Need Advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jammedia

What is the name of your state? Minnesota

My sister whom I recently paid $5,000 to move to Minnesota, buy her a car, get her a job and move her into a new apartment, was just accused of check forgery buy her former employer and has admitted that she did it. She committed the forgery in Colorado and they are going to be issueing a warrent for her arrest on Monday and extraditing her back to Colorado. What I'm wondering is, would it do any good to offer to pay the employer the $2,500 myself on Monday or would it be to late to do any good? Would I hire an attorney in Colorado or Minnesota? Also, is forgery a misdemeanor or felony? And what sort of punishment is generally involved in a first offense of this kind. I'm in the mood to let her deal with it on her own except she has a three year old innocent child and I don't know what would happen to him if she goes to jail. Her husband is still in Colorado and doesn't seem to care what happens to her or her son. Any advice you can give would be wonderful.

Thanks!

B

badtenant

Is so nice to have someone as wealthy as you in the family...

geez i wish i had a sibling like you, i would appricate all your help and not be a LOSER like your sister.

Oh well, at least you can get the car back in your name, and SELL IT.... and maybe find a new tenant and rent out the apartment, or move into it yourslef....and most of all, you can keep her furntiure and stuff and have a big yard sale, to raise the cash she ripped off from you....

All in all you wont lose too much on this deal...let her get extridited back to colorado, and maybe you want to adopt her child?

PS..dont pay for a lawyer or any thing else. Thats what her HUSBAND is for.

Last edited:

Beth3

jammedia, the employer has already filed criminal charges and since a warrant is being filed, presumably the DA intends to prosecute. You can certainly contact the employer and offer to make restitution but I don't know if that will do any good and more importantly, I don't know if that will do your sister any good. Reading between the lines of your post, I get the feeling you and perhaps other family members have been bailing her out of trouble for a long time.

The odds are high that she's not going to change her ways unless she experiences the consequences of her actions. Perhaps the very best thing you could do is to offer to take care of your nephew when your sister has to return to Colorado. Sounds like he's in need of a stable home, which is something you can provide.

If this comes to pass, you should very probably formalize the situation and arrange for legal temporary guardianship of your nephew so that you can act in loco parentis until your sister gets out of jail.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">