• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hotel towed my car!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

V

v_day_baby

What is the name of your state? Rhode Island

TO make a long story short, while in Frederick, MD visiting relatives and friends I stayed at a Holiday Inn. Early one morning, my bf and I got into an argument and eventually were told to get all our stuff and leave the premises. As I was drunk, I left my car there and had a friend drive me to her house, when i returned the next morning to pay my bill the car was not there. I found out later the hotel had it towed to Baltimore (an hour drive away) along with putting my driver's license and 2 credit cards inside the car.
My question is, does the hotel have the right to tow the car to where ever they want?? I understand they have the right to tow it off their property, but i was stuck with no ID, no cash, no credit cards and I missed my flight back to RI because of this. Not only that, but the hotel repeatedly lied to me about having the car towed, although it is on record that THEY called the tow company in Baltimore to have it towed.

HomeGuru

v_day_baby said:
What is the name of your state? Rhode Island

TO make a long story short, while in Frederick, MD visiting relatives and friends I stayed at a Holiday Inn. Early one morning, my bf and I got into an argument and eventually were told to get all our stuff and leave the premises. As I was drunk, I left my car there and had a friend drive me to her house, when i returned the next morning to pay my bill the car was not there. I found out later the hotel had it towed to Baltimore (an hour drive away) along with putting my driver's license and 2 credit cards inside the car.
My question is, does the hotel have the right to tow the car to where ever they want?? I understand they have the right to tow it off their property, but i was stuck with no ID, no cash, no credit cards and I missed my flight back to RI because of this. Not only that, but the hotel repeatedly lied to me about having the car towed, although it is on record that THEY called the tow company in Baltimore to have it towed.
**A: you have no claim as the hotel had a right to tow your car.

V

v_day_baby

I do understand the hotel had a right to tow the car off the property, but do they really have the right to tow it anywhere they choose to?? I am not arguing, I just really don't understand why they didn't just tow the car locally...
If the hotel has the right to tow my car ANYWHERE, then they could legally have it towed to California?

HomeGuru

v_day_baby said:
I do understand the hotel had a right to tow the car off the property, but do they really have the right to tow it anywhere they choose to?? I am not arguing, I just really don't understand why they didn't just tow the car locally...
If the hotel has the right to tow my car ANYWHERE, then they could legally have it towed to California?
**A: and what did the towing company and the hotel tell you when you asked them the same question?

V

v_day_baby

the hotel claims they didn't have the car towed, and the tow company originally said they don't go to frederick to tow since they work out of Baltimore, and then later said they went to Frederick because the hotel said the car needed to be towed to Baltimore.
As you can see, I am quite frustrated due to the amount of lies I have been told regarding this situation.

JETX

Part of the reason you are still confused is you seem to insist that this be done by phone. WRITE the hotel and ask them your questions. WRITE the towing company and ask them your questions. You could even call them and get FAX numbers and then FAX your written request for information to them. Ask that they respond to your questions in writing.
Unless you can get some kind of FIRM answers from these two separate parties, you are never going to find out what really happened..... and by whom.

B

badtenant

my bf and I got into an argument and eventually were told to get all our stuff and leave the premises. As I was drunk.

===============================

i guess you will learn from this.....Dont drive to , and then get drunk at a holiday inn.

Next time take a CAB!!!!

V

v_day_baby

um, badtenant, i was staying there...why would i take a cab to somewhere i was staying at??
besides, looking at the law instead of just posting sarcastic comments has allowed me to see that the hotel actually might not have had a right to tow the car as they had no signs posted and made no effort to notify me that they had it towed...
i posted on this board in order to receive justified advice, not for people to point out what an idiot i was...

V

v_day_baby

also, for anyone else who is interested, a vehicle may not be towed or otherwise removed from a parking lot to a location that is more than 10 miles from the parking lot...(according to MD law)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">