• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

detaining a person

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

elli_mae66

What is the name of your state? illinois Is it legal for another county officer to detain a person in a different county when they are out of their district while they wait for that county's officers to arrive?

L

loocpoc

Yes. I guess I should be a wee bit more clear. Off hand I dont have the IL law and I just got home from work. Basically the law states that any commissioned member of the IL State Police, IL Secretary Of State police, IL Conservation police, any sworn member of an IL sheriff's office, any sworn member of a municipal police agency, any member of a forest preserve police force, A member of the Cook county hospital police or transit/railroad police agency may effect an arrest for any violation of Illinois law that happens in there presence.

If the sheriff's deputy was in preformance of his or her official duties then yes they may make an arrest and detain you till the local police/sheriff's office or transport you to the local county jail.

If your in the Chicago region, this is done on a very daily basis (IE Chicago cops making an arrest in Evanston, Cook county sheriff's police make an arrest in Dupage County etc..)

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">