• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I need advice ASAP

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Michelle06

Indiana. Ok so, my parents just recently got divorced. Its been a 3-4 year process.My dad was abusive to my mom their entire marriage, she finally worked up the courage to kick him out to protect us and herself. Since then hes been filing for custody. He got custody the last time they went to court. He has hit me twice(I am 15), and violently pulled on my ankle to where there is a bruise.Hes hit my brother(who is 11) and gave him a bruise on his wrist, and pushed my oldest sister(who is 20) twice. He is always screaming at me and my little brother- my other sister (who will be 18 soon)was sent off to live w/my dads sister (our aunt) temporarily, none of the people that have to do with the case believe us that the abuse happened, and the therapists who did were taken off the case. But there is also never anything to eat in his apartment and it is not very clean.Is there any way anyone could give me some advice on what I could do to get this changed so we can live with my mom full time?? She has never and never will do anything to harm us, her apartment is clean and there is always food. I DO fear for mine, and my little brothers safety, because my dad just totally snaps sometimes and I fear he is going to hurt me (especially at night-- hard for me to sleep). I was thinking about maybe me and my other 3 siblings possibly divorcing my dad. Is that possible in Indiana, and if so what do I have to do to have this done? If not, what advice woul you give me to have my mom get full-custody of us??? Thanks.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Is there any documentation of the abuse towards you & your siblings? Does your Mom have a lawyer? Was a GAL (basically a lawyer) appointed for the kids? Have any of you (the older siblings) ever spoken with the judge?

M

Michelle06

IN, There are police records of the abuse towards us and our mother. There is also a picture (somewhere @police dept.) of a bruise my father gave me-- and I recently took a picture of the bruise my father gave my little brother.My mother had a lawyer, he quit on her for some reason.Yes, a guardian ad litem was appointed for us kids, we call her when my dad hurts us or when something is wrong- she never really does anything, she'll call my dad and ask what happened, my dad will lie.. and she doesn't end up doing anything about it. All 4 of us have spoke to the judge. We made it very clear of our close relationship w/our mother, and let him know about abuse that happened. Nobody seems to believe us still.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Would that "some reason" the lawer quit have anything to do with money? That's the primary reason lawyers pull themselves off a case - they're not getting paid.

I'm stone cold out of ideas for you. Is there any part of the story we're missing?

M

Michelle06

It might have to do with money, and the only reason that would be is because she pays for just about everything for us kids. There is no part of the story that is missing besides my dad lies about everything. Maybe I could take a lie detector test to prove Im not lying... or get Childrens Protective Services involved.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Sorry, I assumed CPS was involved already.

As for the lawyer - if your mother expects to have one help her - she has to pay him/her. Lawyers have families to feed, too.

M

Michelle06

She does pay them. I mean, she may get behind on like one payment, but she does pay them. Do u think it would be a good idea if we did get Children Protective Service involved? Im just scared to be around my dad, and Im very close to my mother--I just want to go home to her and live by her permanently w/o having to worry about what my jerkish father will do next. :rolleyes:

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
It couldn't hurt to try. The problem is, CPS hates to get involved when there's a custody case because so many people manufacture stories to come out ahead. But it wouldn't hurt to call them.

M

Michelle06

Ok, I think I will. But what do you mean "people manufacture stories to come out ahead."

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
CPS gets a lot of calls during custody caases claiming abuse. Stories that are totally made up in order for one person to get custody. So they are often leery of getting involved.

M

Michelle06

Oh I'd imagine they do, but I swear on my life that we are not making this up. I have the memories of it, and I will never be able to forget those things that I saw my father doing to my mom.

tigger22472

A judge AND CPS will tell you the only things revelant in this is what your father has done to you.. Not what he's done to your mother. You have to prove what he's done to you and memories don't count... you have to have proof before they will do anything

M

Michelle06

I do have proof, I have pictures of the bruise on my little brothers wrist. And somewhere at the police dept./gov. complex there are pictures of the bruise my father gave me on my ankle-- do you think that will be enough proof??

Last edited:

tigger22472

As wrong as it may seem that may not be enough. It depends on how big the bruises are for one. For two and I'm not saying that this is you but they take in account things as to what children say (especially teenagers). There are some out there who make these things up(who's to say where the bruises came from.. I bruise easily and could easily say my husband beats me when I simply ran into a doorway or something) simply to live with another parent because the other parent is easier on them. CPS might check into things but the likelyhood of them removing you from the home and taking you to your mother is unlikely. For whatever reason it was the judge gave your father custody. Be very careful before taking steps. You most probably WON'T be going from your dad's house straight to your mother. You and your siblings could even end up in foster care until they investigate to make sure you're mom is able to take you.

CMSC

Not certain if legal aide in your state handle's custody cases (some do during divorce, but not after). Your mother should call them! Many times if there is domestic violence involved they will offer free legal services to low income families.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">