• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Non-payment of fine...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

screwloose

What is the name of your state? Iowa

Last year, my girlfriend was pulled over for some minor traffic thing. The cop who stopped her hit her with a "No Insurance" violation. No problem.

However, just other day she got pulled over for expired tags on my car(which was really a technicality since it was a car I was buying from a cousin). Anyhow, she hadn't paid the fine($300 or so). It's not like we've had the money to pay the fine, and we've moved twice in the last 6 months. We have a ton of financial problems going and it slipped her mind(by the way, her original ticket was before I knew her).

Is she facing any jail time? I imagine she'll probably get another fine and court costs. Is there a chance that the judge would be willing to give her a deferred judgement if she agreed to go into a payment plan on the fine(s)?

Thanks for your replies.

Son of Slam

screwloose said:
The cop who stopped her hit her with a "No Insurance" violation. No problem....

Anyhow, she hadn't paid the fine($300 or so).

Sure, it's no problem for you, or her, sense you don't pay for it. It's deadbeats like you that make others pay higher rates to cover the damages you do. You have any idea what it will cost in tax money just because she didn't pay her fine? How much will it cost to house her baggy-ass in jail? How much in extra bandwidth to post your question twice? I can tell from your post about financial problems that you are not the type to care about too much, so oh well.

S

screwloose

You're a real friend. I was asking about a situation and you were a punk. Saying I don't care is a real uninformed thought. I didn't even know about this fine until last week. Thanks for being a dick.

calatty

It is real unlikely she will serve jail time for failing to pay a fairly small fine. It's kind of late to ask for a payment plan, though she can try. The best thing you can do for her is pay the $300 right now. Sell your computer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">