• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

False Charges

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

williemay

What is the name of your state? WA. I am in the process of getting a divorce and my wife has brought false charges against me, saying I forged her name off of a title. The vehicle in question is a LEASED vehicle, it is a semi truck, as I am a truck driver. My father loaned me the money to pay off the lease, when the lease was up. To be assured that I would repay him, he asked at the licensing department if there was anything he could do and they told him he could put his name on title as legal owner and I would be a registered owner. My father asked about my wifes name being on the title and they told him since it was a leased vehicle that she would not be required to sign off of it. Now she has charged me with forging her name and has a court date of this Friday. I can't find an attorney, as I live in a small town and no one will take it on at such short notice. What can I do when I go into court or is there something else I can do? I there any RCW laws against her having her attorney bringing up these kind of false charges? It has already been established in court that this vehicle is a lease vehicles.

Last edited:

racer72

Go to the licensing agency that gave you that information and ask to see the specific law that applies for your situation. I see it as a case of your father purchasing a lease return vehicle and is now selling it to you in a private deal. And only the signatures of the legal owners of the vehicle, not the registered owners, are required to transer title of the vehicle. RCW 46.12.101 only specifies actions required of the legal owners and does not specify any actions of the registered owners are required to transfer a title unless the registered owners are about to become the legal owners. This would not apply in your case.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">