• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

whats the law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mopar_man01

What is the name of your state? Washington
I asked this question before and nobody would answer it, instead they desided to give me advise. Well i dont really need advise. I am finantually set. All i want to know is am i going to get in any trouble if i get my fiancee pregnant. she is 16 and i am 18. She wants to have a baby alot more than i do. And if you could put the definitio0n of age of consent into laymans terms for me. An answer to my question would be greatly appretiated. Please no personal opinions.

Beth3

Children raising children. An outstanding plan.

The age of consent means the age at which an individual can be considered to have given voluntary consent to engage in sexual relations. The age limit varies by state. If you engage in sexual relations with someone under the age of consent, it is statutory rape, even if they begged you to get them pregnant. The penalties vary by State and there can be additional criminal sanctions depending upon the age of the adult and the age difference between him or her and the minor child.

As to what the age of consent is in Washington state, I have no idea. I'm hoping it's 18 as you are on the verge of making a very ill-advised decision and I really can't imagine your girlfriend has given much thought as to what is in the best interests of a child she wants to bring into the world when mom is only 16 years old.

Good luck to you. I expect you're going to need it.

JETX

Though I agree completely that you are a real idiot for even thinking of doing this to her life (and yours), I do provide the following answer:

The age of sexual consent in Washington state is 16. It is important for you to understand the following Washington laws:
"RCW 9A.44.079
Rape of a child in the third degree.
(1) A person is guilty of rape of a child in the third degree when the person has sexual intercourse with another who is at least fourteen years old but less than sixteen years old and not married to the perpetrator and the perpetrator is at least forty-eight months older than the victim.
(2) Rape of a child in the third degree is a class C felony."

As the purposes of all "Age of Consent" laws are not to "protect" children, but, rather, to protect the family, it is not at all surprising that many states that have ages of consent that set the ages below 18 have hidden within their codes other laws that can be used to set a defacto Age of Consent of 18. And Washington has just such a law:
"RCW 9.68A.090
Communication with minor for immoral purposes.
A person who communicates with a minor for immoral purposes is guilty of a gross misdemeanor, unless that person has previously been convicted under this section or of a felony sexual offense under chapter 9.68A, 9A.44, or 9A.64 RCW or of any other felony sexual offense in this or any other state, in which case the person is guilty of a class C felony punishable under chapter 9A.20 RCW."
Source: http://www.leg.wa.gov/RCW/index.cfm?fuseaction=chapterdigest&chapter=9.68A

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If the only "trouble" you are concerned about is whether or not you can get thrown in jail, I refer you to Jetx's answer.

However, you sure as shooting can get into trouble with her parents (and quite possibly your own).

I would be interested to know why she is so insistant that you get her pregnant. If by any chance she is under the widespread but mistaken belief that in doing so she automatically becomes emancipated, she is DEAD WRONG. She is still under the care and control of her parents until she is 18, and they can legally take whatever action they see fit to protect her (including refusing to allow her to see you again - you don't REALLY think they're going to believe it was all her idea, do you?)

You also might want to consider the fact that you are going to be on the hook for child support until the baby is 18, regardless of whether you and your girlfriend stay together or not. And statistically, very few couples end up long term with the person they were dating at 16 or 18.

M

mrseld

Listen.....you may only want to "know" the law in the this situation, but you NEED advice a hell of a lot more.

I don't care how bad your girlfriend wants to have a baby. A baby does not make a relationship concrete. A baby is work and time and sarifice and not something you two (or at least your girlfriend) should even be thinking about.

Everything will be about the baby. You can't just pick up and go anywhere anytime. The BABY comes FIRST. If the baby gets sick and you have plans to go out....well, guess who's plans are cancelled? There are doctor bills, clothing bills, prescriptions, dental visits, etc. And that doesn't even scratch the surface.

You two the need help of a highly qualified psychiatrist and your butts kicked. And if you're so "financially set", you're in a good position to have enough money for your lawyer and the court costs involved in defending a statutory rape case.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">