• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

18 years old caught shoptlifting

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kahless720

What is the name of your state? california

i was caught shoptlifting from bestbuy, they caught me in the bathroom taking the stuff out of the packages. i heard them come in and tell me to hand over the stuff. when they took me to the managers office, i told them that i was only 17 (im really 18) and they said if i wrote down everything i did they would not call the cops. so i did and then she said that they lied to me and they did call the cops. when i talked to the police officer he took my wallet and looked for forms of id, i did not have anything with my birthday on it so at that point they called my mom and she came and picked me up. when i got hom i got a call asking why i lied about my age. i told him that i was scared and i did not want to go to jail. he said he would come pick me up but then my dad got on the phone and asked if he could take me to the station instead, the officer agreed and when we got there the officer let me out on a cite. so now im being charged with pc488 and pc490.5(a)
i thought i should plead guilty but someone told me that i should plead not guilty so i could get a public defender and go from there.
what should i do and what kind of sentence am i looking at? this is my first offense.

racer72

someone told me that i should plead not guilty so i could get a public defender

Did you know that public defenders are not free? If you ask for one, you will be required to fill out forms to determine your income and from that your cost for legal representation will be determined. Unless you are homeless or indigant, you will have to pay something. You would be better off hiring your own attorney, they will have more incentive to protect your interests.

S

sdstrooper

Your penalty depends on the combined value of the items stolen. If it was less than $50, you should end up just paying a fine. If more than $50 and less than $1,500, you're looking at either a fine, probation, or jail time depending on what the judge thinks is fair. If it hits felony level, which I think is $1,500 & up, you will most likely be in jail.

TYRIS

kahless720 said:
What is the name of your state? california

i was caught shoptlifting from bestbuy, they caught me in the bathroom taking the stuff out of the packages. i heard them come in and tell me to hand over the stuff. when they took me to the managers office, i told them that i was only 17 (im really 18) and they said if i wrote down everything i did they would not call the cops. so i did and then she said that they lied to me and they did call the cops. when i talked to the police officer he took my wallet and looked for forms of id, i did not have anything with my birthday on it so at that point they called my mom and she came and picked me up. when i got hom i got a call asking why i lied about my age. i told him that i was scared and i did not want to go to jail. he said he would come pick me up but then my dad got on the phone and asked if he could take me to the station instead, the officer agreed and when we got there the officer let me out on a cite. so now im being charged with pc488 and pc490.5(a)
i thought i should plead guilty but someone told me that i should plead not guilty so i could get a public defender and go from there.
what should i do and what kind of sentence am i looking at? this is my first offense.
[

-if this is your first offense, your probably looking at a fine and maybe court probation. 488 PC is petty theft and 490.5 PC is petty theft from a merchant. I don't know why you were cited for both, normally it is one or the other. One of the charges will probably be dropped by the DA for a plea bargain.

Tyris

K

kahless720

Well as for paying for an attorney, thats not likley to happen. I live with my mom who is on welfare and i myself don't have a job so i am pretty poor.
I stole a total of about... $375 of stuff.
So does this mean i should plead guilty or not guilty or what?
Thank you for all of your help

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">