• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unadoption Laws

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

maxine28

What is the name of your state? Wyoming

Is it possible to unadopt children? My husband adopted two children AFTER his divorce because the ex-wife did not want her family to get them if something happened to her. No strings, no child support but he was able to see them frequently. Now that he has remarried, everything has changed. She is demanding a large sum of child support and is going for regular visitations. Any clue?

sroutlaw

Possible? Yes, if her present husband wants to be Dad Number Three. Likely? Not at all. I don't get this. So MANY men seem to adopt at will with no thought to the what ifs.....

Your husband is obligated to pay, to relate to these kids and to be dad until they are 18 (0r 22) PERIOD. This is what happens when one acts without truly considering the future - future wives, kids, money situation, time constraints, etc.

Bottom line, your DH is a fish on the hook and the sooner you and he accept it and stop looking to ditch his responsibility, the better.

Got an idea...

Why not ask her if she's willing to let his new wife adopt the kids as well? That way she has no worries about her family getting a hold of them or how to support them. I'm kidding of course... :) BUT, she can't force him to visit the kids, no matter how she feels about it.

ellencee

maxine28
The mother will probably be granted child support for each child and a visitation order, too. Your husband's previous pattern of visitation may be adopted by the court and ordered to remain at that frequency.

sroutlaw stated that yur husband will be 'dad' until the children are 18 or 22. The fact is, those children will be his legal children and heirs, always and forever.

In establishing a life with your husband, the two of you need to include these two children into any financial plans as well as into family life. They are now his children as if they had been born to him.

As for the "no strings", I can't help but wonder whose interpretation of adoption includes those terms. Adoption is the permanent application of 'strings' and was the purpose of his adopting them so that his ties would prevail if she should die when the children are minors.

I'm guessing your husband had full knowledge of his responsibilities towards the children when he adopted; at least, he signed numerous papers saying he understood the implications and accepted the responsibilities.

You knew when you married him that he had two children, already.

I don't suggest going into court and playing stupid in front the judge or telling the judge that he, your husband, no longer wants to accept the responsibilities of being a father.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">