• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I'm the Plaintiff: I want to vacate a Restraining Order.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

moelevine

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts.

Hi.

Just two days ago I had a temporary restraining order filed against an ex-girlfriend. She was served with the order and the appeal hearing for her takes place in 8 days from now. I have since had a change of heart and feel her threats were just heaped up exaggeration in trying to keep me in a relationship which I no longer wanted part of. She is also heavily medicated under doctor's prescription.

My questions are:

How can I vacate the current restraining order to end everything now and spare her and I from the whole hearing process and bring final closure to this all?

and...

What can I do between now and the hearing date which is Thursday of next week? Do I have the legal right to end it days before the hearing because I am the plaintiff?

Thank you tremendously.

Moe

M

mrseld

I went to petition for a retraining order against my ex-husband as did his ex-girlfriend. Even though we had a court date set, his ex-girlfriend had a "change of heart" and decided not to pursue it.

Instead of calling the office to which we had gone to initiate the compliant to "drop the charges", his ex-girlfriend just didn't show up for the hearing. I proceeded with my case and got my restraining order. Now, the cost of the restraining order at that time was $152.10 plus court costs. Since my ex-husband's ex-girlfriend decided she had a "change of heart", she was liable for the costs, and the case she brought against my ex was dropped.

Call the office you went to (ours is called Citizen's Disputes) and ask them what the procedure is for dropping a complaint. Maybe you can get it dropped before you are liable for the fees if it goes all the way to court before you say something.

Son of Slam

mrseld said:
So. Big deal. An error in typing.
It got us each a few more posts. We're getting up there with the big dogs, like LETX and Home Gugu and I AM ALWAYS LAME. Just another 20 or 30 thousand posts.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">