• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Applying For Food Stamps W/ False Info

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mrseld

What is the name of your state? tn

My husband came home today telling me this and I still can't believe it, but I have to have some thoughts on this from anyone on the forum who may be able to shed some light on it.

My husband's brother is living with a woman who has 3 kids and is still married. She and her husband having been living separately for about 3 years now. Her husband does not pay child support, nor do they have any court orders between them for anything.

Now, my brother-in-law's girlfriend was fighting mad today because she received a letter in the mail. The letter stated that her husband had applied for food stamps (he lost his job recently) and that he had the children with him. Also, since my brother-in-law's girlfriend has a job, the letter also informed her that what benefits her husband received would be garnished out of her paycheck.

What can she do? She has the children with her and has from the get-go of their separation. Her story is that she had not filed for divorce as of yet because of the expense. Anyway, what can she do about the fix her husband apparently has her in now?

Whyte Noise

She can call the DFS office and tell them the situation. That she has the kids with her, that her estranged husband filed a fraudulent claim for food stamps (if he claimed the kids on there to get more FS), and that she won't be repaying any "debt".

At least, this is what I'd do if it were me.

racer72

Don't call, you will be just annoying some overpaid government lackey. She needs see a divorce lawyer yesterday. Without a court order dictating child custody she really does not have a leg to stand on. You say she can't afford an attorney, in this case she can't afford to NOT have one. In the mean time she should go to the welfare office and attempt to strighten out the situation in person.

I'm no authority, but she also can probably disprove his claim that he has the kids by submitting school/medical records and recent tax returns.

M

mrseld

Thanks for your replys. I appreciate them and I will share them with her.

Son of Slam

xxxxx xxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxx xxx xx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxx xxxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxx xxxxxx xxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xxxxxxx xxxxxx

xxxx xxxxxx xxxxx xxxx xxxxxxxxx x xxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxx xxxx x x xx x xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxx xxxx xxxx xxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxx xxxxxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxx xxxxxxx xxxxxxxxx xxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxx xxxx xxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxx xxxx xxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xxxxxxxx xxx xxxxx xxxx xxxxxx xxxxxxx

xxx xxxxxxxx xxx xxxx xxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxx xxxxx xx xxxxx xxxxxxx xx xxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxx xxx xx xxxxxx xxxxxxx x xxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxx xxxxxxxxx xxx xxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxx xxxx xxxxxx xxxx xxxxxx xxxxx xxxxxxxx xxx xxxx xxxxxxx xxx xxxxx xxxxx xxx xxxxxxxx

Last edited:
M

mrseld

This post was about my brother-in-law's girlfriend. I have money. She doesn't and she's not getting mine.

Do you have anything to contribute besides rewording my posts?

I didn't say anything about the "law" in my post. I only asked for anyone who had any "thoughts" on it. So directing the first line of a post I wrote to someone else is out of context.

I have NEVER implied that I screwed up by leaving my ex-husband. I've been divorced for over 5 and 1/2 years. The "screw up" would've been if I hadn't gotten rid of that loser. And my brother-in-law's girlfriend isn't going back to her husband. What's the matter with you?

Have you taken your medication today?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">