• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

my husbands rights violated

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

turmangirldee

What is the name of your state? Georgia

My husband went to St. Simons Island on Sunday to access the beach for a much needed walk for, in his words, "a little peace of mind." He had just left the Nursing home where his 85 year old mother is an advanced alsheimers patient. He is 63 and totally disabled. His health is very bad. The Historical society was having an outside concert near the Lighthouse...they were selling tickets at tables they had set up. My husband explained that he only wanted to access the public steps to get to the beach. They had a rope across that area and he was told that he could "not go back there".....determined to have his walk...he climbed down dangerous rocks to the beach. He was in tears when he returned home and stated that he felt like they treated him as a non human. I am upset about this and want to know our legal right. Help will be appreciated...thanks

HomeGuru

turmangirldee said:
What is the name of your state? Georgia

My husband went to St. Simons Island on Sunday to access the beach for a much needed walk for, in his words, "a little peace of mind." He had just left the Nursing home where his 85 year old mother is an advanced alsheimers patient. He is 63 and totally disabled. His health is very bad. The Historical society was having an outside concert near the Lighthouse...they were selling tickets at tables they had set up. My husband explained that he only wanted to access the public steps to get to the beach. They had a rope across that area and he was told that he could "not go back there".....determined to have his walk...he climbed down dangerous rocks to the beach. He was in tears when he returned home and stated that he felt like they treated him as a non human. I am upset about this and want to know our legal right. Help will be appreciated...thanks
**A: if the beach and said access was public property, did the Historical Society have a use permit? If so, call the governmental agency that issued the permit and find out just exactly what the permit covers. Your husband should have just walked on through and told those historians to call the police.

T

turmangirldee

Thankyou HG for your advice...If I had been with him, that is exactly what we would have done...Walk right on by. I spoke on the phone with the woman who refused him access. She told me she was instructed to do so by the executive director of the HS.
This person is unavailable until next week. In the mean time I will try to locate information on any permits which may or may not have been issued. Once again...thankyou for the advice.

enjay

I'm sorry that happened to your husband, but what are you looking for? An apology is all you should expect. Your husband suffered no damages.

T

turmangirldee

enjay...To answer your question....I am not sure exactly WHAT I expect from this. An apology....certainly. My husband has suffered 2 strokes. Being upset as he was endangered his health, as did that hazardous trek over rocks. I want to make sure no one else is violated in this way. Especially the elderly or disabled. After a few phone calls...it seems this society has not even received permits from the county. The county is upset by what I have relayed to them. We shall see.

L

loocpoc

First and foremost, how were his rights violated? Did Glynn County police or the Georgia State patrol issue him any tickets in reguards to his "tresspass"?

HomeGuru

turmangirldee said:
Thankyou HG for your advice...If I had been with him, that is exactly what we would have done...Walk right on by. I spoke on the phone with the woman who refused him access. She told me she was instructed to do so by the executive director of the HS.
This person is unavailable until next week. In the mean time I will try to locate information on any permits which may or may not have been issued. Once again...thankyou for the advice.
**A: please keep me posted.

T

turmangirldee

Home guru...Wanted to let you know that I spoke with someone from the county yesterday...she is definitely upset with what she called "the injustice here." She promised a full investigation and I think she is very sincere. She called me today to say that the HS owns the grounds area around the lighthouse where the concert was being held. That being said, she does not belive they have the right to deny access to the steps leading onto the beach...She has placed the matter in the hands of a "higher up"
and expects full investigative discussion and a judgement from him within the next days. She said she will continue to call me as this unfolds. Thankyou for your continued concern. I will, indeed,
keep you posted.

Loocpoc...No tickets were issued..The point is..he was NOT trespassing.

HomeGuru

turmangirldee said:
Home guru...Wanted to let you know that I spoke with someone from the county yesterday...she is definitely upset with what she called "the injustice here." She promised a full investigation and I think she is very sincere. She called me today to say that the HS owns the grounds area around the lighthouse where the concert was being held. That being said, she does not belive they have the right to deny access to the steps leading onto the beach...She has placed the matter in the hands of a "higher up"
and expects full investigative discussion and a judgement from him within the next days. She said she will continue to call me as this unfolds. Thankyou for your continued concern. I will, indeed,
keep you posted.

**A: my thought is that even if the HS owns the grounds area around the lighthouse, should not there be a public access from their property to the beach? Or a sign stating "No Public Access To Beach". In that particular area, where is access to the beach?

B

Boxcarbill

turmangirldee said:
The point that Loocpoc was making or rather the facts that Loocpoc was attempting to discover was an answer to this question: "What action makes this a violation of your husband's constitutional rights?" Since this forum is for questions involving constitutional rights and a violation of constitutional rights requires a state or federal action which intrudes upon an individual's constitutional right, Loocpoc was attempting to discern the nexus between your husband's inability to access the bench and either a state or federal action.

T

turmangirldee

HG...There is a sidewalk leading down to the steps to the beach.
These steps are not a private walkway. The outdoor concert was held on the grassy area around the lighthouse, which I assume is "owned" by the HS. People purchasing tickets for this are encouraged to bring a lawn chair . Seems these concert goers should be arriving from a different direction other that the beach front. There IS a parking lot on the other side of the Lighthouse.

Boxcarbill....I am not versed in the law. I am a 55 year old tax payer who has never had a law suit brought againt me, nor have I ever filed one against another. That is why I came here...to try to UNDERSTAND our rights. You will notice that the title of my post has a ? at the end of it. If I am in the wrong forum..please excuse my ignorance of the law and direct me to the proper forum. In the meantime, I will continue to check in here.

L

loocpoc

I know the exact area you are talking about. Again, what constitutional issue is gonna be brought forth? His rights were not trampled. He was told told not to walk there one day. How hard was it for him to go the other way for one day?

Ive been told to not go on the beach the many times Ive been to St. Simons ( I went to FLETC). Its better to just walk away and complain at the county commissioner meeting. Your not gonna be sued or gonna sue anyone, no rights were violated.

T

turmangirldee

loocpoc said:
I know the exact area you are talking about. Again, what constitutional issue is gonna be brought forth? His rights were not trampled. He was told told not to walk there one day. How hard was it for him to go the other way for one day?

Ive been told to not go on the beach the many times Ive been to St. Simons ( I went to FLETC). Its better to just walk away and complain at the county commissioner meeting. Your not gonna be sued or gonna sue anyone, no rights were violated.
How hard was it for him? Walking for him is VERY hard. He has
emphysema and asthma. He also has inoperable carotid artery disease. It is by the grace of God that he is still alive after the 2 strokes he has suffered. I believe he had every right to access the steps to the beach, and the people I have spoken with at the County office seem to agree with me. I have to ask....why were you told not to go on the beach the many times you have been there? I have been a resident of this county for 16 years....I have NEVER had this happen to me. Before moving here, I visited on a regular basis and it never happened then either.
It is very surprising to me that a tourist would have had this experience "many times."

B

Boxcarbill

turmangirldee said:

Boxcarbill....I am not versed in the law. I am a 55 year old tax payer who has never had a law suit brought againt me, nor have I ever filed one against another. That is why I came here...to try to UNDERSTAND our rights. You will notice that the title of my post has a ? at the end of it. If I am in the wrong forum..please excuse my ignorance of the law and direct me to the proper forum. In the meantime, I will continue to check in here.
Sorry but I do not see a question in your post (besides the question concerning the name of your state.) I can, however, tell you that from the facts disclosed in your post, it has absolutely nothing to do with constitutional law or the U.S. Supreme Court. Of course, fewer than 1 post in 10 which are posted in this forum do have anything to do with the U.S. constitution or the U.S. Supreme Court. While your husband had an unpleasant experience at the hands of some club member, I see no cause of action. I think that the most that you can hope for is for a public, elected official to tell the society not to block public access to the bench and to tell you and your husband that he is sorry that you had such an unfortunate experience and that he has spoken with the society leaders regarding blocking public access to the beach and has been assured by the society that it will not happen again.

Now what all these irrelevant posts to the U.S. constitution section of the forum tells me is that there are an exceedingly large number of people in the United States who have little to no knowledge or understanding of the U.S. constitution or of their constitutional rights. This explains why so many people, today, are so willing to surrender their constitutional rights. It is difficult to impossible to value that which is not understood. I find this truly alarming.

T

turmangirldee

My husbands rights violated?

BoxCarBill.....The ? I spoke of is in the thread title. I was asking.
YOU have straighted me out it seems.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">