• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

domestic violence boyfriends x-wife

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

alexc2268

What is the name of your state? Nevada

My boyfriends ex-wife is harassing me. Last month she tried to hit me while I was 9 mths pregnant. I got a temporary protective order. It was served yesterday. Now she called me angry and violent, threatening me. What can I do to protect myself. Can I record her on the phone? Do I call the police and tell them she violated the TPO by calling me or do I have to have proof?? :confused: At the end of the month they will go to court for a custody battle.

A

ANNIMARIE

I don't know Nevada law,but in CA you can record the person that is restrained. They're breaking the law by calling you. It's best of course to have a recording, but report the call anyway. They probably can't do much without proof, but will probably contact her. It may make her realize that this is serious. Good luck.

A

ANNIMARIE

CA is a one party state as well, but my restraining order against my ex states that I can record phone calls placed by him to me. I was surprised about that, too and re-checked. That's what it says. If you read through your restraining order it'll probably give you the info. THey're pretty specific.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
One party state means you can record even without that - as long as one party to the call is aware it's being taped.

A

ANNIMARIE

Oh sorry. Got confused. I actually thought CA is a two party state. That's good news. Thanks!!

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
California actually IS a two-party state according to the website. I din't check and assumed you knew since you stated it was a one-party state in your post, Annimarie.

A

ANNIMARIE

Yeah, that's what I thought. Nevertheless it does state in my restraining order that the protected person is allowed to record the restrained person. Thanks.

nailtech

if there are no kids involved that she is required to have a current phone number then get an unlisted phone number... if you can not change your number and have caller ID then just let an answering machine pick it up when she calls or let the machine pick up all the calls if she's stupid enough to leave a threatening phone call on a tape, then you have her nailed... just set the recorder to have the proper date and time stamp on it for proof of dates she's calling you...

just a thought...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">