• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adoption or name change

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sparrowdove

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

A year ago I had remarried and my children and I moved from our home state of Michigan. My new husband would like to adopt my children, but my ex husband had stated (before we got married) that he would not allow any kind of adoption. Well, my ex is no where to be found in Michigan, even his family don't know where he is at. The friend of the court has not had any kind of address change either, and he is not employed. My question is, can my husband adopt my children? If not, is there a way that we can legally change their last names w/o my ex's permission? They have both mentioned on numerous occasions that they want the same last name as me and my new husband.

Thank you

O

OnlyOneVoice

You would need his consent, unless you can show that you have made "reasonable attempts" to locate and serve him with the petition.

An attorney in your state can tell you what the definition of reasonable attempt" is.

Once you have satisfied that stipulation, you can proceed with your petition and show that you have attempted to locate the parent and were unable to locate him for service.

It may require you to run multiple adds in multiple newspapers attempting to locate him for a set amount of time, I think in some states it's 6 months.

Good luck. It is possible to proceed without his consent, but it takes longer and is usually more expensive due to the "ads" etc.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">