• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

battery to juvenille

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Susan M of IL

What is the name of your state? IL
My 16 yr old son attended an auto race with his uncle in Kankakee Il recently. According to the police report, a 46 year old man approached my son stating that my son stole is seat. (which was not a reserved seat setting- nor had my son and his uncle moved from the seats they first sat in when they arrived just behind the the suspect) My son states the 46 yr old asked him to move and when my son ignored him he put his whole body into his physically moving him. The two (my son and the 46 yr old man) exchanged words and when my son turned away to ignore this man he struck him with either his elbow or fist. The police report states in detail that there was a visiable cut above my son's left temple, glasses were broke, and his nose was bloody.
The 46 yr old man was intoxicated and taken into custody for battery against a juvenille. What exactly are my son's rights?
It was also noted as well on the police report that the vicitim (my son) is 6'3" and 245lband does not look to be your average juvenile in appearance. So does that give this 46 yr old man a right to go to a public race track, become intoxicated( which must have happened at the track because once inside you were not allowed to leave and the track in fact served alcohol) and just assault &/or batter ANYBODY? including an over-grown child?
I have talked with a local attorney, however since we are 2 hours from the county which the battery took place and the suspect is from Indiana, he basically assumed there would be a sort of slap on the wrist.......so where is the justice in that??????
I had to have my sons glasses replaced, eye checked and my husband and I both missed a day from work already.
Of course my son ( who has NEVER been in trouble) took alot of crap from his 2 employers, coach, and friends due to his eye.
Unfortunately being that size doesn't always work in your favor and it made him out to look like a trouble-maker/bully.
WHAT RIGHTS DO WE REALLY HAVE? or HOW DO I FOUND OUT ON MY OWN???

H

hexeliebe

And have you heard from the prosecuting attorney in the county where the incident occurred? If not, call and ask what they intend doing about the matter.

You want to see this through and to let the prosecuting attorney know that. After the matter is resolved in court, and if the other party is found guilt, then you can go after him for civil damages.

I'm 6'4" and 270 and was only 50lbs lighter and no shorter in high school. So I know it's not easy. But your son just needs to know that no matter where he goes in life there are going to be idiots.

It's how he handles himself that matters in the long run.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">