• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My 14 year old wants to live with Dad because I am moving

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

patience

I live in Alabama and was divorced almost 3 months ago. I was given sole legal custody of our two boys, ages 14 and 10. My ex did not ask for joint custody. We have lived in Alabama for six years and the town we are in for three. We came here six years ago from Texas, for business reasons. My family and my ex's family are back in Texas where I would like to move back to. In addition to being closer to family, I plan to marry a man who I have known for a long time and also continue school at a university. Here is the problem... My 14 year old son wants to stay here in Alabama because of his "friends" and his father is filing for custody of him so that our son can live with him. I say my son goes with me. Will a judge consider giving custody to my ex because our 14 year old son does not want to move?

P

patience

In addition to my first posting, I felt it neccessary to mention that my ex remarried immediately (to the day legally possible). Plus, he moved one block away from me with his new wife and her two smaller children. Although, that would be enough to make anyone want to move, it is not my reason.

T

tgabriel

Why wouldn't you want to respect your son's wishes? Fourteen is a very tough age to be uprooted. My own parents divorced when I was exactly that age and fortunately for me, they respected me enough to listen to what I wanted. Unless your ex is an unfit parent, you should let him stay with his father. I'm sure you are a very good mother, but boys really need their fathers more at this age. I think if you force the boy to go, you will end up having problems with him. I know I would have a very hard letting my son go because I would miss him SOOO much, but I would do what was best for him. Good Luck.

P

patience

Thank you for your input. It is fortunate that you had parents who could come together and listen to your wishes. I wish I had that luxury. I have raised my two boys with little help from their father. Unfortunately, their father gave up all rights as a parent, so I am the responsible one and always will be. If my oldest son felt that he would miss his father, and this was not an issue over friends, my moving would tear at my heart a great deal more. My ten year old is in complete agreement to move with me and I am thankful. I feel it is in my sons best interest to stay with me and his brother. Thanks again!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">