• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My court appointed lawyer stinks

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

1USAMAN

What is the name of your state? NY

My court appointed lawyer is terrible. First he showed up 1 1/2 hrs late, tried to speak with me for the first time 5 min before we spoke with the Judge. Offered to try to work out a "deal" being 6 months probation and fine for an offense that was a violation not a misdemeanor (As charged!). When I informed him of this He told me I had no idea what I was talking about. When I showed him a copy of the NY statutes he told me not to nit pick about a misdermeanor and a violation or I would make the court angry and if I did so I would be charged with more crimes! He said theft of service could be changed to petty theft (Does he mean petty larceny?) I was accused of recieving cable tv illeagally.
Next he told me I had plenty of time to run outside (men's room) upon returning I was called a second time and then reprimanded by the judge for keeping him waiting My lawyer told me to be quiet or HE would get in trouble.
Am I right in seeking counsel elsewhere?
Note: I am 41 yrs old with a spotless record, and own a bussiness in town
Thanks

calatty

If you are a business owner, why are you being represented by a court-appointed attorney? Hire an attorney of your choosing.

1USAMAN

If you have ever opened a small bussiness your bills must be paid along with salaries etc. etc. I have not seen a paycheck in awhile except from the second job, which gets put back into the bussiness. Yes things are getting better (before someone tells me I'm a lousy bussiness man!)
I have a clean record and never experienced the GROSS INCOMPETENCE of a civil defender before. I now have a third job to pay my hired attorney's fee.
You have the right to an attorney or one will be appointed.
You have the right to go directly to jail, do not pass go!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">