• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex wants to take kids out of state

• Thread starter Divorced_Mom_in_Arkansas
  • Start date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

Divorced_Mom_in_Arkansas

I am the custodial parent of our kids, and have been divorced for 1-1/2 yrs. At our divorce hearing my ex agreed on the stand- to pay our past bills (as ordered at the temporary hearing, but he never did.) In fact, 1 month later he filed bankruptcy. I was stuck with $12,000 in bills. Since I am a college student this is a major financial burden. Incidently he lied at his bankruptcy hearing, b/c his attorney falsified the amount owed to make it sound like he was overburdened. Yet, 1 month before our divorce was final he bought a brand new car w/ his girlfriend.This year he wants to take our kids to Ca. on vacation. He swears he is only going to go 2 weeks and will bring the kids back. My problem is that I do not trust him, b/c his word & actions do not match up. His new wife's 18 year old son told me his mom said they were moving to Ca. in 2000. I know he hates his job and Arkansas, but he says he's not leaving. Somewhere in the divorce papers it says he can have them for 6 weeks in the summer, and he says he is going to take me to court if I don't say yes. Should I let him take me to court? He is using the excuse that his mother is sick, but she has been for 10 years. I'm not trying to punish him for the bankruptcy, but his lies have destroyed what little trust I had in him. What do you suggest?

T

Tracey

You have 2 options:

1) let him take the kids to CA and go out there and get them back if he doesn't return them on time. File contempt of court charges in AL and get a judgment against him for your atty fees and plane tix. (He can't declare bk on this debt!)

2) Go to court now and ask for an order forbidding him from taking the kids out of state.

You can't refuse to let him take the kids for his alloted 6 weeks just because you think he'll move to CA with them.

Good luck,
Tracey

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">