• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do I find out if I'm divorced or not!!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

THEBEESH

I have been estranged from my wife for more than seven years...I haven't heard from my estrange wife for all of this time...I would like to know how I can find out if she has ever divorced me....I have not follow thru with a divorce...We were married in NYC in 1989...She, I think, is presently residing in PA and has been since we separated in 1993...Can she file for a divorce and get it without my knowledge????Please advise.....

T

Tracey

She can file a divorce without your knowledge if she got an order for service by publication. This order is usually predicated on a declaration that we don't know where the defendant is. If you never moved/let her know your address, she shouldn't have gotten the order and you should still be married.

Write the court clerks in the counties where she lived since the separation and ask if they have any record of divorce proceedings uncer her name.

Tracey

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">